JSConf US Last Call Call for Speakers
At JSConf, we strive every year to push the boundaries of what is possible with JS by spotlighting the future of the language and those making that future a reality. If you haven't spoken at a JSConf, you are actually in a better position than those that have because we want new people, new ideas, and new presentations. We have a long history of focusing on individuals that would otherwise never get a stage. We have made JSConf the platform for risky, crazy, and amazing things to flourish into even bigger, more widely-known products, ideas, and libraries. Many of the brightest things in JS have their roots deeply engrained with JSConf and this is something we take incredible pride in. We push ourselves each year to take riskier and riskier speakers, because they define the discussion about JS over the next year or years. Unlike other events, attendees do not come to JSConf to learn JS, they come to have their minds blown about what they had never thought could be possible with JS.
We have opened up our Call for Speakers form and that will remain open until Wednesday, September 30th at 12:00PM EST NO EXCUSES. As we have always done, we are seeking out new ideas and concepts that push the boundaries of JS and the JS community. We welcome strange and unusual presentations as long as they remain within the boundaries of our well established Code of Conduct. We are looking for talks focused on all parts of JS, including but not limited to:
- Crazy Ideas & Crazy Hacks.
- Mobile JS.
- Embedded JS.
- Hardware JS.
- Fundamentals, in a modern light.
- Education and Outreach of Computer Programming
- And finally: Whatever the hell you want; this is your conference.
We are champions of a different approach to finding speaker as well with a process called an "hybrid call for speakers". Unlike a traditional call for speakers, if you want to nominate a person and idea that you would like to see, you can submit that as well into our call for speakers. If you are the person submitting yourself, which is completely cool and encouraged, please mark your submission as "this is me", so we can write you back if your submission is or is not accepted.
We Can Help
Not everybody is a natural talent on stage. Not everybody can produce kick-ass slide-decks. Not everybody is a live-demo-god. Not everybody knows they have something great to talk about.
There are about a million reasons why *you* don’t consider yourself a speaker, let alone at JSConf, where all your heroines and heroes have spoken in the past. We are here to prove you wrong. If all you have is a gut feeling that you should be on stage, we are here to help you to develop or hone the skills you think you lack to deliver a great presentation.
- We are happy to brainstorm your interests to see if a great topic is hiding.
- We are happy to connect you with experienced speakers to help prepare your submission.
- We are happy to review and advise on how to produce a slide deck. If you don't feel creative, just use our Keynote or PowerPoint templates.
- If you need practice giving talks, get in touch, we can hook you up with local groups or set up a stage for you and a bunch of friends in advance, so you can practice in front of a friendly crowd.
- Again, whatever else you might need, we’re here to help.
Get in touch: email@example.com (just don’t use this to submit a proposal).
If you need more encouragement, check out our great friend from JSConf EU Tiffany’s site We Are All Awesome that tries to convince you to speak.
If selected, what do I get?
We will be inviting a small, focused, and inspiring handful of speakers to present and help with workshops at the event. As with every JSConf and JSConf event, we happily provide the following:
- Free admission to JSConf US Last Call which includes access all two days of conference and all of the associated events.
- Up to 4 nights at the Omni Amelia Island Resort Single or Double occupancy. If you require fewer nights, that can of course be arranged. We will handle all of the reservations for you, just let us know when you will be arriving and departing.
- Travel reimbursement for your journey to and from JSConf (most likely through Jacksonville airport - code: JAX). We will need proper receipts for travel and can book the travel for you if you prefer (actually this way makes it easier for everyone normally, so please consider it). Once you have your travel booked, please forward your itinerary to us so we can book your hotel rooms accordingly.
- 25 minutes to present in front of the greatest gathering of JS developers ever assembled!
All talks will be recorded and published on the internet for free, along with a recording of the slide deck, live-demo or other on-presenter-screen activity.
We do this for the benefit of the larger JS community and those who can’t make it to the conference. We hope you want to help out, but if you are in any way uncomfortable in any way, let us know and we will work things out.
Finally, since you retain full ownership of your slides and recording, we’d like to ask you to make your materials and recording available under a creative commons (we default to no commercial reuse) or other open source license.